- Trip Details
- Trip Info
- Customize Trip
The Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve is a protected area in the eastern Terai of Nepal that covers an area of 348 sq. km. It is the only wildlife reserve and protected area in the Terai of eastern Nepal. It was founded in 1976 to conserve the remaining population of the wild water buffalo. It became the first Ramsar site in Nepal in December 1987.
Traveling to Koshi Tappu wildlife reserve offers a unique exploration of the water and land ecosystem. You can enjoy a boat ride on the Sapta Koshi River and take a glimpse of sunbathing gharials, crocodiles, and Gangetic dolphins. The other activities in the wildlife reserve include Bird watching, Jeep Safari, Rafting, and a village and nature walk. You can observe and behold all the incredible wildlife and culture the area offers. The major attractions here include the rare Wild Water Buffaloes, Blue Bulls, Gangetic Dolphins, and Golden Jackals with over 400 species of birds. In addition, this wildlife reserve also provides inhabitants with 31 mammals, 485 birds, 200 fishes, and more. The vegetation of this wildlife reserve includes submerged and floating aquatic plants, riverine forests, and seasonally flooded grasslands. The best time to visit is between the months of September to February because the birds migrate away from cold regions like Mongolia and Siberia.
Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve has been attracting many domestic and international tourists. The nearest airport to the reserve lies at Biratnagar, where the domestic airlines operate daily flights from Kathmandu, or you can also go by bus. There are many packages to book for wildlife tour that offers nature walks along the woods, grasslands, and beaches. You can enjoy camping, picnic, and cultural programs at night in the nearby resorts.
Highlights of Koshi Tappu Wildlife Reserve
- Go bird watching and witness more than 407 species of birds including Bengal florican, white-rumped vulture, peafowl, and many more
- Enjoy nature walking, camping, jungle safari, picnic, etc.
- Observe wildlife like the rare wild water buffaloes, Gangetic dolphins, crocodiles, etc
- Go boating at Sapta Koshi River
- Go to the Pink Observation Tower
- Enjoy the beautiful sunset views from the bank of the Koshi river
- Explore the surrounding villages, interact with local people and explore their culture and lifestyles from up close.